Friday, October 5, 2012

Halloween Crafts: Raven Wreath


Since it's almost Halloween, I'm going to skip the book reports for a bit and instead post a few of the Halloween crafts I've been working on for this year.  I never used to be all into Halloween, but my husband likes the holiday and my little boy sure does love to dress up for it.  Plus, we are having a Halloween party this year and I decided I needed to spiff up the house with some ghoulish decorations!  This first craft was super easy to do, and I think it looks both creepy and cool at the same time.  It reminds me of Edgar Allan Poe's "The Raven", don't you think?  Nevermore!

Anyway, here is what you'll need to make your own Raven wreath...

* Grapevine Wreath (mine is 18")
* Black Spray Paint
* Black Glitter (optional)
* Black Feathers (optional)
* One small Black Bird (got mine at Dollar Tree)
* One large Black Bird  (got mine at Joann's)
* Hot Glue and Gun (or any strong adhesive)









Alrighty, the first step is to spray paint the entire wreath black, make sure you get in all the nooks and crannies and get both sides of the wreath.
 
Next, while the paint is still wet, sprinkle the glitter.  The glitter is optional, I just like how it made my wreath a little more sparkly.  But, you don't have to glitterize your wreath if you don't want to.  After painting and glittering (or not) you'll have to wait a little while for the paint to dry.  I think mine was dry after about an hour or so.
 
Now that the paint is dry, it's time to apply the feathers and birds.  I used hot glue to adhere a little nest of feathers for my birds to sit on.  The feathers are optional as well and definitely aren't needed to create this wreath.  I just liked that my birds were kind of chilling in their nest.  After I glued in the feathers I attached my two birds.  I got the smaller one at the Dollar Tree (great place for neat Halloween decor), the larger bird I bought from Joann's at half price.
 

 
 
So, there's my Raven Grapevine Wreath.  Looks a little bit like the original, don't you think?  I really like it and I think it's a bit different from some of the other Halloween wreaths out there.  If you want the original instructions on how to make this, go here.  In fact, Joann's has a lot of fun little projects for Halloween, not just this one.  Anywho, there's one halloween craft done, I've got a few more I want to do and hopefully I can get them posted up here soon!
 
 
 
 
 
 
 


1 comment:

  1. What a fabulous wreathe, I'd like to invite you to enter our current challenge at Quoth the Raven which is anything Poes http://poequoththeraven.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete