Wednesday, July 11, 2012

A Very Pinterest Independence Day!



I hope everyone had a very safe and fun 4th of July, I know we did.  We had a bunch of friends over for food and fireworks and it went off with a bang, if I do say so myself.  Since I've started following Pinterest I always see neat and cool things to make/do/try for Holiday decorations/food and I thought I'd put some of that Pinterest time to good use and try a few things out for our party.  Now, they all turned out pretty well, some better than others, but I did get a lot of compliments for my red, white, and blue treats, and that's all I can really ask for.




These red, white, and blue strawberries were definitely a popular pin heading into the fourth and they were really very easy to make.  My friend Hilary requested these for the party, and I'm glad because they really were a hit with a lot of folks.  Of course, the pictures look better on Pinterest (everything looks better on Pinterest) but they still tasted very yummy.  These were very simple, melt some white chocolate (I put in a dash of vegetable oil to keep the chocolate liquid-y), dunk your strawberry in the chocolate and then dip the tips of your strawberry into blue sprinkles.  This took less than 20 minutes to complete.  I think perhaps they might have turned out better if I waited for the chocolate to cool a bit before dipping into the sprinkles, but I was running out of time and had to hurry.



This red, white, and blue drink was another popular pin, and while it looked pretty cute, no one really drank any of it.  I think I needed more red juice, and my cute little star shaped ice cubes didn't last long at all, which was a bummer because they really looked neat in the drink.  First off put in your ice cubes then pour cranberry juice in, let the cranberry juice settle to the bottom and then slowly (very slowly!) pour in blue gatorade.  You want to try to pour the gatorade on the ice cubes so it won't mix in with the cranberry juice.  Lastly, you pour in Diet 7up on the whole thing and something about the sugar content of the three different beverages makes them separate.  Anyway, it was real cute and a lot of partygoers commented on it, but it wasn't very functional since no one drank any of it.  I probably wouldn't do this one again, but it was fun to try once.
























Now these star-shaped rice krispies treats were a hit.  Very simple to make, a little frustrating at times but well worth the effor I think.  The hardest part was getting the cookie cutter to go through the rice krispies treat and then getting the dang cookie cutter unstuck.  They are very sticky, and my cookie cutter oftentimes didn't want to be separated from the rice krispies.  Obviously, you need to make some rice krispies treats, let them set for about 30 minutes, and then use a star shaped cookie cutter to make your stars.  Add a strawberry, some blueberries and one star rice krispie onto a skewer, tie a ribbon on the bottom by the strawberry and, viola!  Easy peasy.  Sort of.  I used a llittle basket with a cube of styrofoam inside to hold my skewers.  I lined the basket with some cute 4th of July fabric I got at work to make it a little more festive and to try and hide the styrofoam.  I think these turned out pretty darn cute.  The only problem was that I had them setting out on the table as a sort of centerpiece so everyone could see, and after a while I think the heat and humidity started to make the marshmallows melt and the stars began to fall apart.  No worries though, my friends just clustered around the table and picked off the falling pieces for me...such good friends!  I would definitely make these again, but perhaps leave them in the fridge until it was time for the treats to be brought out.


All in all we had a really good fourth, and it was fun to try out some new and fun treats that I saw on Pinterest.  I totally had more treats planned to make, but ran out of time, there are only so many hours in a day.  Regardless, we had plenty of food and no one left hungry, everyone still had all their fingers at the end of the night and we didn't burn anything down.  All in all a success if I do say so myself.  As for other 4th of July pins I wanted to try...well, maybe next year!



No comments:

Post a Comment